I suppose H1N1 and economic slowdown are a blessing in our lives. I find situation is so peaceful and unhurried but I don't know actually how it was like in KL. Last year, Ramadhan offered so many Berbuka Puasa package at hotels and resorts in PD and there were people everywhere. Thank God, it was different this year. I don't see advertisements enticing visitors for sumptious spread of Berbuka Puasa to Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Shopping complexes in Seremban were not as busy though there were sales attractions almost in every shop. I had a leisurely time shopping at Parkson in Seremban looking for my toilet accessories. How nice if this becomes common practice among us, thrifty in our spending. I just hope the Malays learn to change their habit by not being extravagence during Raya as Islam doesn't encourage this practice.
My book project with Najidah is completed finally and I am in the process of looking for a different publisher, intead of my usual one. I just want to see what other publishers can offer. To my former students and collegues who are interested to learn to write a book, I am always here, willing to help. I don't have favaurite people but if anyone wants to write you have to be focused, worked on it with no excuses and follow my lead. Now I have other projects in mind and looking for interested ex-students and friends to be involved. But please be advised, you don't get rich by writing academic books here but you will experience self-satisfaction and pride. Syok sendiri is good in this respect!
Since program PERASA was intoduced by Shahabudin, I have been advising him to produce a book on his program. He was fully aware that a lot people lifted his work without acknowledging him and claimed it as theirs. This is our problem - plagarism. We have a screwed idea that acknowledging the sources of reference is a sign of weakness especially if the source is local. I also have seen my work lifted but my name wasn't mentioned. This misplaced idea should be banished from our mind. In actual fact acknowledging the source of the materials means we are prefessional, honest and have self-confidence - something to be proud of. I am still waiting for Shahabudin to start writing as I have promised to help but not to write it. He has to do the work himself.
The Berbuka Puasa stalls are less this year in PD and I see less people buying - bad for business but good for the people. So far I bought food for berbuka puasa 4 times, prefering to do simple cooking at home. If I go out to buy I make sure I go early before the food is laid out, open to dust and flies. The resort is quiet most of the time, less people coming on weekends and less drunkards around. I wish the resort has the power to ban people consuming alcohol in the premise.
I am still looking for a place with complete peace. Wonder whether such place exists in this world.
No comments:
Post a Comment