Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Follow-up

Remember my poor cousin, Jaafar, in Chengkau? Well a month over has passed and I have not had any news of the progress of the PPRT house that he applied. I kept quiet for a while due to Raya and other occasions. I know nothing would move when everyone is in holiday mood. I guess I am right. I didn't have any news at all - zilt!

I called my cousin, Sham, Jaafar's younger sister who takes care of him and enquired if there is any news or development. No, nothing! I told her I would be going to Kota to see the ADUN today (Tuesday). She freaked out and begged me not to go and see him. I couldn't believe my ears. She pleaded to let the request for Jaafar's house alone and not to push anymore. 'Sabar kak, ada rezeki Jaafar tu nanti.' She said. Sabar? for how long?? It's coming to 2 years! What assurance does she have for the application to be fulfilled if no follow-up is done? I was upset and puzzled over her request. Something must have happened that made her panick.

She is being misunderstood by the people who are supposed to help and they have become cynical. I don't know how much it's true and how she was treated but I definitely do not agree for her to just keep quiet and leave it to rezeki. This is such a defeatist attitude which I don't agree at all. I believe she has to stand up for Jaafar's rights and do a regular follow-up to see the progress. In some way I understand her fear - fear of retaliation by delaying the request. She made me promised not to go or contact people in the welfare department. I wasn't happy at all especially when she told me that the two months welfare aid that Jaafar wasn't able to collect because of ignorance, was not refunded to him. He was paid only RM30.00. Why, why, why??? This is real aniaya!! I am all ready to go to the department to find out but again she pleaded to let it be. What can I do?? I supposed she must have heard negative comments that her aggressive cousin is creating ripples. I wouldn't have cared.

Since I didn't make any firm promise not to go to Kota, I quietly drove there and arrived about 11 am. Unfortunately the DUN office is closed. I waited for an hour and finally left but I came prepared with a letter detailing the process from the beginning, the promise, the hope and the kind words but are they just words? I didn't get to see the YB but I visited Jaafar bringing some food. He was just as confused as before and the house was in a mess. Sham couldn't come back as often because of work. She still has to support her son who is still in college.

I haven't given up yet. I will respect Sham's request but I want to see for how long action will be taken. It's sad if orang Melayu is unwilling to help bangsa sendiri. The PHD attitude should be eradicated in the heart of the Malays, otherwise we will be a downtrodden race. Is this what life is?

I have one upset today and another big one was waiting for me. I just found out that for 3 months my pensions were not paid. No wonder my BSN saving is almost zero. So I wrote an email for Aduan at Bahagian Pencen, and now eagerly waiting for their reply. It's such a puzzle. This is the first time I experience this situation. Imagine, if my source of survival depends on the pension, what will happen to me - tak makanlah agaknya. This is what the poor will experience if they are being taken advantage of. Anyway, I wrote to tell them that I am still alive and kicking.

Thinking with the heart will make us more human.

4 comments:

Y teng said...

So bad to hear the 'nothing'... Although it is expected...
Follow up is really a need but it is still hard if the ADUN does not have initiative to work on that.


Mama,
totally agree with ur last reminder,
'Thinking with the heart will make us more human'
Sometimes, Sabar and Pray to Lord for extraordinary patient to deal with heartless or unaware person.

Have a blessed day, mama

Zuraidah said...

Y Teng
TQ. Hope everything is OK with you and keep on striving.
mama

an aida said...

mama..
my mom dah face the same problem with u about delay payment of pensions. we wrote a letter but no response.finally i walk in to the bahagian pencen putrajaya. terkejeut bila tau they didnt read our letter.perlu isi borang baru than wait until they setle it. after 3 days, my mom got her pensions.plz follow up ur letter
:)

Zuraidah said...

Aida
TQ for the info. I have settled the pension issue after a lengthy phone call. Seems like they don't communicate from one department to another. I have written an Aduan in their website but so far no response.

mama