Who says a person of my age cannot fall in love? I did. You know that feeling of exhiliration, feeling high and intoxicated over the one you love? You keep thinking of the one and your face lighted up when you think or talk about the one. Those are wonderful feelings that can make you feel life is worth living. Well, on 14 November 2008 (Friday) I fell head over heels in love with Mek Su. Mek Su was found abandoned in Rompin jungle by villgers and was rescued by Jabatan Perhilitan and brought her to safety. She was only 3 years old and so very adorable. You should see her and I can bet, you will fall in love with her too - unconditional!!!

Najidah and I visited the Kuala Gandah Elephant Conseravation Centre that Friday. We were lucky we decided to go there on Friday as the following week is school holidays. Mek Su was the star attraction. When all activities ceased, Mek Su was there with her mahoot waiting for visitors to admire and talk to her before they leave the centre. She was obedient, so cute and so lovable. I can't help but gave her a big hug, playfully rubbing her and whispering sweet nothing in her ears. I hope she understood that I am confessing my feeling of love for her. She sat there entertaining visitors, making herself look pretty by lifting her trunk and showing her teeth when she was commanded by her mahoot. If you have the opportunity, do not miss visiting Kuala Gandah Elephant Centre and all your stress and troubles will go away, at least for that moment. Your endorphine will be able to flow through your body to repair the damages caused by the stress.

I salute Jabatan Perhilitan for making a big effort to rescue orphaned elephants and to move wild ones from unsafe environment to a safer one where they can roam free without threat. Kuala Gandah Elephant Centre is an attractive location which is not far from Kuala Lumpur. It took me about two and a half hours drive to reach there and the drive is a pleasant one with good road. After driving through to most part of Malaysia, I think we really have one of the best road systems and should be proud of that.
I was told that only 120 visitors are allowed each time to take part in their activities. I am glad they put a limit. I can't imagine how tired those 6 elephants would be if hundreds of visitors wanted to ride them. So before you go, please call this number 09-2790391 and register your names or else you might be disappointed when you find hundreds of people are already there. Beside Mek Su, I also got the opportinity to be up-close and personal with Lasa, the only male elephant among the six who entertained visitors. We took a number of photos with Lasa and Remi, the mahoot, who not only took care of the elephants but also invoved in rescuing effort.
Najidah and I visited the Kuala Gandah Elephant Conseravation Centre that Friday. We were lucky we decided to go there on Friday as the following week is school holidays. Mek Su was the star attraction. When all activities ceased, Mek Su was there with her mahoot waiting for visitors to admire and talk to her before they leave the centre. She was obedient, so cute and so lovable. I can't help but gave her a big hug, playfully rubbing her and whispering sweet nothing in her ears. I hope she understood that I am confessing my feeling of love for her. She sat there entertaining visitors, making herself look pretty by lifting her trunk and showing her teeth when she was commanded by her mahoot. If you have the opportunity, do not miss visiting Kuala Gandah Elephant Centre and all your stress and troubles will go away, at least for that moment. Your endorphine will be able to flow through your body to repair the damages caused by the stress.
I salute Jabatan Perhilitan for making a big effort to rescue orphaned elephants and to move wild ones from unsafe environment to a safer one where they can roam free without threat. Kuala Gandah Elephant Centre is an attractive location which is not far from Kuala Lumpur. It took me about two and a half hours drive to reach there and the drive is a pleasant one with good road. After driving through to most part of Malaysia, I think we really have one of the best road systems and should be proud of that.
I was told that only 120 visitors are allowed each time to take part in their activities. I am glad they put a limit. I can't imagine how tired those 6 elephants would be if hundreds of visitors wanted to ride them. So before you go, please call this number 09-2790391 and register your names or else you might be disappointed when you find hundreds of people are already there. Beside Mek Su, I also got the opportinity to be up-close and personal with Lasa, the only male elephant among the six who entertained visitors. We took a number of photos with Lasa and Remi, the mahoot, who not only took care of the elephants but also invoved in rescuing effort.
Cleaning and bathing the elephants in nearby river was the first activity that was fun to watch. Both mahoots and elephants enjoyed dipping in the river and I bet the elephants felt fresh when all the mud and dirt being scrubbed clean by their handlers. It was a labour of love. I think to be a mahoot you must really care and love the animals and concerned over their welfare.

The exciting event was feeding the elephants but before that, they were chained on their legs. I felt sorry to see that but then I understood why it was necessary. These gentle giants will be handfed by visitors and they will crowd around them. It is for safety reason. Feeding them at close range is an experience I'll never forget. Putting the fruits into their soft mouths is amazing. They swallowed as fast as you can put the fruits in their mouths. It was fantastic! I fed Lasa and at the same time talked to him and told him he was a good boy. How lucky can I be!

Riding the elephants was another exciting event after the feeding. 3 elephants were led out to the platform for visitors to ride on their backs with the mahoots. It is tricky and you have to hold the mahood around his waist as the sway of the huge body can make you slip down and it is a long fall. Najidah went for the ride first to enable me to take her pictures. The gentle giant took a short route round before others took their turn. Though the route was short I bet they were tired and bored by the routine and one showed her temper. She was quickly calmed by her mahoot.
I had been in Thailand and rode the elephants there but I feel here was the best where visitors can really interact with them at close range. Riding the elepants in Thailand was in a basket but here it's on bare elephant back. That's original. I heard some complaints that the ride was so short and they compared it with other countries. How ignorant. They don't realise that in Kuala Gandah they don't pay for admission and the ride, they ride bare back which is tiring for long distance, the purpose is to give them experience and feel riding bare back on elephants and that there are only 3 elephants to satisfy so many visitors. I think appreciaton is due to the centre, the elephants and the handlers for doing such a good job.
The final event of the day was swimming with the elephants. Those who came prepared were already queing up at the platform. Only those who can swim were allowed to take part. This time only one elephant was involved. It was fun watching those visitors who rode on the elephant's back and suddenly he dippied underwater toppling those on her back into the river, including her mahoot. So much giggles and screams and obviously everyone had fun. Time limit was set and the elephant was led away to the resting area.
Then, it was announced the day was over and suddenly there was my love, Mek Su, waiting for visitors to say goodbye. After much cooing, touching and hugging, Mek Su was led away by her mahoot as she bowed to say goodbye. Good bye my love. I hope to see you again soon.
Riding the elephants was another exciting event after the feeding. 3 elephants were led out to the platform for visitors to ride on their backs with the mahoots. It is tricky and you have to hold the mahood around his waist as the sway of the huge body can make you slip down and it is a long fall. Najidah went for the ride first to enable me to take her pictures. The gentle giant took a short route round before others took their turn. Though the route was short I bet they were tired and bored by the routine and one showed her temper. She was quickly calmed by her mahoot.
I had been in Thailand and rode the elephants there but I feel here was the best where visitors can really interact with them at close range. Riding the elepants in Thailand was in a basket but here it's on bare elephant back. That's original. I heard some complaints that the ride was so short and they compared it with other countries. How ignorant. They don't realise that in Kuala Gandah they don't pay for admission and the ride, they ride bare back which is tiring for long distance, the purpose is to give them experience and feel riding bare back on elephants and that there are only 3 elephants to satisfy so many visitors. I think appreciaton is due to the centre, the elephants and the handlers for doing such a good job.
The final event of the day was swimming with the elephants. Those who came prepared were already queing up at the platform. Only those who can swim were allowed to take part. This time only one elephant was involved. It was fun watching those visitors who rode on the elephant's back and suddenly he dippied underwater toppling those on her back into the river, including her mahoot. So much giggles and screams and obviously everyone had fun. Time limit was set and the elephant was led away to the resting area.
Then, it was announced the day was over and suddenly there was my love, Mek Su, waiting for visitors to say goodbye. After much cooing, touching and hugging, Mek Su was led away by her mahoot as she bowed to say goodbye. Good bye my love. I hope to see you again soon.
Kuala Gandah Elephant Conservation Centre was established by the Department of Wildlife and National Parks in 1989 and fully funded by it. One important activity conducted by this centre is translocating wild elephants from threathened areas to relocate to a safer and freer place. The centre takes care of orphaned elephants as well, such as Mek Su, my sweetheart

Kuala Gandah Elephant Conservation Centre, you are wonderful. Keep up the good work and thank you for making Najidah and I so very happy and satisfied visitors. However, I hope the government will soon make the centre a self-support venture by imposing admission fee, paid ride, parking fee, providing good restaurants, interesting souvernir shops, sale of fruits such as bananas, melons for feeding the elephants and other money-making activities etc. This will help support the maintenance of the sanctuary and not depend solely on government fund. The locals will then have the opportunity for jobs or they can conduct small businesses. But proper managemnet and supervision are necessary in order to make it a success. If the number of staff is limited, recruit committed volunteers who can spend their time to help the sanctuary. I am interested in this and willing to spend quality time there especially with Mek Su.
Goodbye and thank you Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary and expect to see me again.
6 comments:
I fall in love with them too.Miss Mek Su so much and I was plan to go again with my PRS. Insyaallah. Nice places to release all the bad feeling. Automatically will forget about all the bad things in our life for a while. Really enjoy. Thanks to them and thanks to you too, Mama.Thanks to make my weekend are so meaningful and at least dipenuhi dengan aktiviti yang amat2 berfaedah dan bermanfaat.Tq again.
Hi Najidah
We can do that again. Take your PRS and teach them how to love and respect the animals.
Animals are good teachers-better than humans sometimes.
Mama
Hi, Prof,
This is Fatimah from JPA. Glad to see you enjoy yourself so much at Kuala Gandah. I went there with my family once in 2005 I think. It was so much fun for the kids. There is another place near Kuala gandah that is not known to most visitors. I forgot the name, but it also full of cute and nice animal such as, deer, ostrich, python and bear, we paid RM5 for an adult. Not the real fee but just for maintenance of the place. Masa tu baru bukak dan tak de kaunter lagi. The best part was the feeding time. We got the opportunity to feed the deer and the were all around us. Tak de pagar. kecuali beruang kecik tu, kena masuk kandang ada pagar eletrik. So, next time you go to kuala gandah, explore a bit more to this place. Maybe those in Kuala gandah can tell you the name of the place...
Wish You A Happy Travel Time Prof.
Dear Pn. fatimah
TQ for surfing my blog. Yes it's Deerland. We couldn't go there at that time because it was Friday and it was closed. I heard of it and definitely, Najidah and I will go there one day. Nanti lepas sekolah buka balik! We were also keen to stay at a the Visitor's Lodge there for a night. It looked so original for Rm 68 plus breakfast. But unfortunately the toilet is outside - that's no good for me. I need to use it many times at night! So we drove back.
TQ for the imformation.
baca entry kak zu, baru realize, hai dah lama nya tak belai gajah, I think my last time main dgn gajah masa Darjah 2, itu pun sbb ada circus dtg Kuching and my Dad took us to see the circus and fortunately boleh pegang, main2 dgn gajah.....
Anyway, wish I can show Farhan and Ariff the elephants in real and also other animals, the memory would be lasting if we can have contact with those animals I believe.
Peaceonearth
Don't forget to go to Kuala Gandah when you are in KL. Let me know. I am sure Han and Ariff will love it. If not now, when you come back from Perth after finishing your PhD, you can always make a trip down here. It is cheaper than going to other countries and more fun!!!!
KZu
Post a Comment